Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Track of the Day - 7/7/10

About Track of the Day: On a roughly daily basis, I'll be posting a link to a song. These will usually be songs that I like from things I'm not reviewing, or newly released singles, or great songs from olden times, or just whatever I feel like at the moment. They don't get a grade - I'm not looking to critique their lyrics or philosophize about their lasting impact on our culture - I'm just pointing my finger dumbly and saying, "Hey, check this out." Also: each song will have some connection to the previous day's song, and there are fabulous prizes (well, somewhere there are - I don't personally have any) for the first person to correctly guess the link.

"Rock and Roll" - The Velvet Underground
Listen Here

Not much to say about this one: The Velvet Underground were one of the most influential bands in the development of rock and roll, even if barely anyone knew them in their prime. For me, this song has always been one of the finest, most succinct descriptions of the effect that the birth of rock music had on our culture - and it's set to some damn fine rocking music. Enjoy!

Previous day's connection: Pretty easy one there. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros to The Magnetic Fields. They both done got "magnetic" in their names, there, folks! Today's one is a little trickier.

No comments:

Post a Comment