Monday, July 5, 2010

Track of the Day - 7/5/10

About Track of the Day: On a roughly daily basis, I'll be posting a link to a song. These will usually be songs that I like from things I'm not reviewing, or newly released singles, or great songs from olden times, or just whatever I feel like at the moment. They don't get a grade - I'm not looking to critique their lyrics or philosophize about their lasting impact on our culture - I'm just pointing my finger dumbly and saying, "Hey, check this out."

"40 Day Dream" - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Listen here

Yesterday I put up an 80s throwback song from The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, but today's track originates largely from a 60s vibe, in aesthetic as well as sound. "40 Day Dream" is a track off of the 2009 debut from Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, who make the kind of music that would fit right in at Woodstock. While the type of highly joyous and infectious tunes that the band pumps out might sound twee in the hands of a different group, lead singer Alex Ebert (Edward Sharpe is a fictional name) and the rest of the 10-piece band are just so damn earnest that it largely works, particularly on this track and "Home," the other standout from their first album. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment