Tuesday, July 26, 2011

TV Review - Doctor Who (S3.0)



Doctor Who
"The Runaway Bride"
Writer - Russell T Davies

I've decided to start reviewing the third series of the revived Doctor Who for a couple reasons. First, it's a really good show that's well worth discussing, and second, I've decided that if I have to write about each episode it might slow down the pace I'm watching them - because I have a confession to make: I've become a Doctor Who addict. I sped through the first two series with a rather alarming alacrity (alliteration!), and it might be a good idea to have a little more time to think on and savor the show - also, it'll do wonders for my sleep schedule. With that said, I'm really excited to start writing about the series - and I've also decided to cover spin-off series Torchwood alongside Doctor Who, so we'll see if my appreciation and addiction spreads to that as well.

Doctor Who is about the only show I've ever encountered that thrives on change. Most shows, even the most innovative and profound, are predicated on some form of stability - the core cast and basic premise of the series remains largely the same throughout the show's run. While there are a few exceptions (The Wire bucks the trend to some degree), Doctor Who is the only show that seems to relish and even rely upon frequently shaking up the formula. In fact, the show's commitment to never remaining content is probably one of the main reasons for its longevity, and it is certainly relevant to the first episode that I'm covering here, "The Runaway Bride". *spoilers below for the previous two seasons, though I've tried to be as vague as possible*

"The Runaway Bride" picks up right where the previous season/"series" left off, with the sudden and mysterious appearance of the titular bride (Catherine Tate) on the TARDIS. This episode is somewhat unusual - it's a sixty minute Christmas special that is technically not a part of the third series, but it definitely acts as a bridge between the two seasons in terms of plot and characterization (therefore I've decided to term it Series 3, Episode 0). This is both a blessing and a curse; it does a worthy job of transitioning and setting up the season to come, but consequently the main plot of the episode feels a tad undercooked. Especially since I watched the episode without having to wait six months between it and the devastating and powerful "Doomsday," the tension of figuring out why the bride, named Donna Noble, was transported from her wedding to the TARDIS just didn't feel all that important. Catherine Tate does a great deal to alleviate this problem, playing Donna as a loud and rather boorish dolt of a woman, who nevertheless has a surprising capacity for insight when it comes to the Doctor. David Tennant is, as he has consistently been, remarkable, displaying a wide range of emotions with brilliant gusto - his performance when Donna interrogates the Doctor about Rose is both wonderfully sad and flat out fantastic. The plot, which focuses on the Empress of the Racnoss attempting to awake her people from the Earth's core (yes, the synopses of all Doctor Who stories are nerdier than a Trekkie's wet dream) has enough momentum and turns to be exciting, but falters a bit by utilizing a rather frequent bad habit of Doctor Who - using a deus ex machina to resolve things.

I had a fairly mixed reaction to series two's Christmas special, "The Christmas Invasion," as well, so it's not surprising that "The Runaway Bride" seemed far from writer Russell T Davies' A-game. As I mentioned previously, though, I was very hopeful for what the episode seemed to be setting up as the themes of the season - namely the Doctor's struggles with the loss of Rose and his level of connectedness to humanity. And I am also aware that a good portion of my resistance to this episode may have to do with what I discussed at the beginning: Doctor Who is a show built on change, and change takes a bit of getting used to. I remember being really upset at the thought of some other bloke playing the Doctor when Christopher Eccleston left the role - now, I'm so attached to David Tennant's portrayal that I can't imagine it in the hands of anyone else. So, I remain very optimistic for series three, even if "The Runaway Bride" wasn't the runaway success I was hoping for (eh, see what I did there, eh?).

Grade: B

"That's not even a proper word! You're just saying things!"

No comments:

Post a Comment