Sunday, December 19, 2010

Random Topics: 2010 Spike VGAs

Last week, the nominees for both the Golden Globes and the SAG awards were announced, but did you know that there was actually an awards show being televised last Saturday? If you did, you're probably a huge nerd, because the awards show that I'm referring to was the 2010 Spike TV Video Game Awards.

Of course, I myself am a huge nerd, so I took some time away from actually playing video games to watch the rebroadcast of the ceremony. For those of you with better things to do (which would be pretty much anything), the VGAs are usually just fucking awful. The show is so awkward and unfunny that it becomes painful to watch - and I actually like video games: If the prospect of seeing a trailer for the next Elder Scrolls game is meaningless gibberish to you, then you'll want to stay far, far away from the VGAs. Jeff Green, one of the most respected game industry veterans, has a great piece about the problems with the show on his blog.

But the actual award show is pretty pointless anyway, because the real reason that people (myself included) watch the show is to get a glimpse at the games that are coming out next year. And this year was especially exciting for me, because MASS EFFECT 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll probably be writing something soon about the Mass Effect series, but I think that honestly might be the most excited I've ever been by a trailer (especially one that essentially revealed very little about the product). In any case, you can view the trailer here, and I'm sure I'll be writing more about the game as we get closer to its release, because I fucking love Mass Effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment